Health Tip Diabetes During Pregnancy

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Gestational Diabetes the Unknown Reason

About 3 month ago, I went to the clinic to confirm upon my pregnancy. I was informed with a good and a bad news. The good news was I am 10+ weeks pregnant. However I was also told that my RBS or ‘random blood glucose’ is above 7.0mmol per 1 tsp.

At first, I did not understand what the nurse told me. But when she explain that I was suspected as a diabetes sufferer, I felt panic. I had heard so many stories of diabetes complications and becomes a diabetes sufferer myself is beyond imagination. Since then, I have to go to the same clinic to do monthly blood test to check my glucose level.

To confirm the RBS reading, I was called for a MGTT test. In full form is ‘modified glucose tolerance test’. For the test, I need to fast for about 10 hours. Thus, I fasting after 10.00 pm before the test was performed. Around 08.00 am the next morning, they took my first blood sample. Then I was given very sweet water called glucose to drink. After that, I continued fasting for two hours more before they took my second blood sample.

The results after fasting and after given the sweet water are differ about twice times. The first result was 4.98mmol per 1 tsp (should not over 7.8mmol/1 tsp) and the second result was 8.57mmol per 1 tsp (should not over 11mmol/1 tsp). Even though, the blood test result does higher than normal but it still not high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes.

However, the next time I see the doctor, he told me that I develop gestational diabetes. It happens during pregnancy and common to pregnant women. Although this form of diabetes usually goes away after the baby is born, but any woman who has it is more likely to develop type 2 diabetes later in life. The doctor also told me that there is no known for gestational diabetes but it might be caused by the hormones of pregnancy or a shortage of insulin because of the baby growth.

To reduce the risk of getting diabetes, I was advised to watch my daily diet. Took less sugar, avoid sweet food or drink, no carbonates drink and etc. I also was told that with modest weight loss and moderate physical activity, I can delay or prevent developing type 2 diabetes and return to normal glucose levels.

Along with the dietary, monthly blood test called BSP or ‘blood sample profile’ also needs to be performed. It is done to spy upon my blood level until my baby is born. If my blood level still uncontrolled 42 weeks after the baby is born I might need to depend on insulin in my whole life. That's the doctor last word to me.